Saturday, July 9, 2016

Decision Making 101

This post is ironic because I am NOTORIOUSLY horrible at making decisions.  I can spend hours in a store, walking around and contemplating whether I should purchase the items in my cart.  Seriously.  It's ridiculous.  And I will admit that there ARE times that I will do a second lap around the store, putting away the items that I've talked myself out of buying.

I am also the person who can not decide where to go eat dinner.  I can gladly present a list of options but deciding on the final location is legitimately a struggle for me.  Is this crazy?

Anyway, Mike and I recently found ourselves in a position to make a very LARGE and somewhat impromptu decision... to buy a duplex or not to buy a duplex. Not a decision to make lightly but, we were on a definite time crunch because the seller wanted a 30 day close.

Not too long ago I found myself praying for a house.  Not so much because we wanted to buy a home but, more because we were tired of paying rent.  We've paid a LOT of money in rent since we moved here.  Also, Mike and I really enjoy taking care of a home and putting our touches on it.  We had not seriously looked at real estate but we had casually looked at prices around us.  We like our neighborhood.  We LOVE the general area we live in.  But, we got serious sticker shock with the prices of homes in this area.

I felt like the answer to my prayers was this: "take care of what you have been given, and more will be given to you."

Less than a month later, our landlord (who said she would NEVER EVER sell) called us and offered to sell us the duplex we'd been renting.  It started very casually... yes we are interested... let's see if we can get approved for the mortgage... ok, we're approved... can we really do this?... oh my gosh, I'm scared... ok, let's do this... no, let's NOT do this... but I don't want to find another place to live... I don't know what to do... yes... no... yes... no...

Eventually we settled on YES and moved forward with buying the house.  Now, we are "Tahome" owners.

My indecisiveness almost ended this opportunity.  Truly.

It's still too soon to know if this was a good or bad decision.  But, it was decision made on faith, love, and courage.  In many ways, it has already been a GREAT decision because it's highlighted many of the reasons I love my husband.  It highlighted how much we are in this life together.

We did have some logistical hang-ups... like the fact that we had a lot of work to do next door before being able to rent it out.  But, my hard working husband rolled up his sleeves and together, we got it done!  And ahead of schedule!!!

FRESHLY PAINTED LIVING ROOM




SMALL LAKE VIEW FROM THE DECK

FRESH, CLEAN ENTRY WAY

TILE COUNTERS.... WHICH I DISLIKE.
HOPEFULLY THOSE WILL GET REPLACED ONE DAY!



UPSTAIRS BATH



BEDROOM 1


DOWNSTAIRS BATH

THE HOUSE!!! 
Well, there you have it.  You've had the tour of our freshly painted rental side.

Lastly, some parting words for those of you who struggle with decision making like I do:

"Boldly go where passion takes you!  Make decisions based on courage, love, and loyalty.  People who try to decide with the mind alone, who place no faith in their heart's desires, are doomed to compare and contrast, forever insisting that just a little more knowledge will make the choice clear.  It won't.  Listen to your body.  It feels differently when your heart/gut is weighing in. Eventually, you'll see that misery is simply life asking you to trade your current course of action (or inaction) for something purposeful and true.  When you trade indecision for choice, you'll be rewarded with either success or education.  Guaranteed."  - Martha Beck

2 comments:

  1. congrats on being tahome-owners. what an amazing place to buy a home!! enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete