Sunday, September 23, 2018

Old Wives Tales

You've probably heard about several of the old wives tales for baby gender prediction.  Well, here are the ones that we tried and our results:

1) Craving Salty Vs. Sweet.
Supposedly if you are carrying a boy you crave salty things and if it's a girl you crave sweets.  This one was totally TRUE for me.  I'm craving salty and I'm having a boy.

I myself prefer sweets.  Cookies.  Donuts.  Ice cream.  It's hard for me to say no. But during this pregnancy so far, I have much preferred french fries, potato chips, and pickles.  That doesn't mean that if someone put a donut in front of me, I wouldn't eat it.  I am human.



2) Pregnancy Glow.
If your skin is glowing and radiant and your hair feels silky and soft, you are likely carrying a boy.  If you are breaking out with acne and feel like your beauty has been stolen, you are likely carrying a boy.

Ok, I am having a hard time judging myself on this one.  But, I will say this: I have always been prone to acne and I actually do think I notice a small difference.  I haven't been without ANY breakouts during this pregnancy but it has been rare.  I am going to say that I'm having less than average breakouts and therefore that would lead me to say this old wives tale is TRUE.



3) The Ring Test.
There are a lot of variations on this old wives tale.  Here's how we did it: I plucked a single strand of hair from my head and then strung my wedding ring on it.  You hold this suspended ring over your palm or over your belly (I tried it both ways) and if it moves in a line (side to side) it's a boy.  If it moves in a circle, it's a girl.

I tried this a couple of times and every. single. time. it was a very obvious line that slowly turned into a very obvious circle.  Weird, right?  But, in the beginning it was always a line so overall I'm going to say this one is TRUE (at least for me).



4) Morning Sickness.
The tale is that if you're having a lot of morning sickness, you're pregnant with a girl.  If you aren't having morning sickness, you're having a boy.

TRUE for me!!!  Thank goodness.  I haven't had ANY morning sickness.  I would get a few episodes of nausea in the late evenings in the first trimester but even that wasn't too bad.



5) Sleeping Position.
If you sleep on your left side... it's a boy.  If you sleep on the right... it's a girl.

TRUE for me again.  I can ONLY sleep on my left side for some reason.  I get a weird, uncomfortable feeling when I lay on my right side.



6) Headaches.
Getting frequent headaches is a sign of a boy.  I'm going to say this one is TRUE for me but hasn't been as true in the second trimester.  During the first trimester though, I definitely got some headaches.



7) Feeling Moody.
Feeling more moody than usual is a sign of a girl.  Less moody means boy.
Ok I'm going to have to defer to Mike for a judgment call on this one.  I feel like I wouldn't recognize and fairly judge my moodiness.  But, at least so far in this pregnancy, he reports that I am less moody or about the same as usual.  So, I'm going to say this one is TRUE for me.



8) Dry vs. Oily Skin.
Dry skin indicates a boy.  Oily skin means girl.
Ok so I've had oily skin for most of my life.  But, then we moved to the desert.  The legitimate desert.  Single digit humidity!!!  It's so dry here!  And since we've lived here I have notoriously dry skin.  I cover myself from head to toe in lotion as soon as I get out of the shower.  I do think that I have pretty dry skin.  And I am having a boy.  So, maybe it is true???  Or maybe I just live in the desert.


Ok, so there are a LOT of old wives tales out there.  
These were just a few of the ones that were true for me.  A lot of them are pretty subjective and I think you could argue either way.  
Regardless, we are having a baby BOY
 (a fact NOT based on old wives tales, but on seeing a little something between his legs on an ultrasound)
 in a few months and I LITERALLY COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED!!!!!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment