Sunday, May 17, 2015

If you're happy and you know it...

...clap your hands!

Ok, so I recently posted about how lazy and unmotivated I've been lately.  And how I only want to eat foods that aren't particularly good for me and how I've gained weight and blah blah blah.

Well, I'm training for a half marathon.  And I've been beating myself up because I haven't ACTUALLY been training.  The longest run I've done in my life has been 8 miles and that was at sea level.  The longest run I've done for this training is 6 miles...

... until Saturday.  A dear friend persuaded me to "poach" the hospital's "Bfit" program. They mark trails for long runs.  So, I joined her Saturday morning in the cool, cloudy weather and we ran 10 miles!  YEP!  I'm officially back on my training!  Woohoo!  I was so proud of us.  And I am feeling so much better about the race.  If I can do 10... I can do 13.1!  I just know it!!!

For some reason, at one point during the run, I kept singing "If you're happy and you know it..." with obnoxious repetition.  Thus the name of the post.

What also makes me happy is the fact that AFTER a 10 mile run, I felt good enough to go on a 7 mile bike ride!  Then I came home and did 1 hour of yoga!  What the heck is going on with me?  It's awesome!

 I was all excited from my epic day of exercise yesterday and agreed to another mountain bike ride with Mike today.  It was cloudy and drizzly... and there was an 80% chance of precip... but it's Tahoe.  It's never rains here.

Well, we climbed all the way to the top and guess what? It started raining.  Pretty hard by Tahoe standards.  THEN, on our way down, it started hailing!  And let me tell you something... hail hurts!  We had no choice but to keep riding.  I wanted to ride fast to get it over with, but the faster you ride, the harder it hits you.  As painful as it sounds, I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.  We were fine and we came home to eat grilled cheese sandwiches and steaming bowls of chili.  So warm and comforting.

There was one tiny little mishap at the start of the ride.  There are lots of dogs on this road (it starts as a road, then you drop into the trails at the top).  There was this dog on one side of the road, and (typical of dogs) it decided to dash suddenly across the road, right in front of my bike.  Basically, I t-boned the dog... it yelped... I went down.  It was all very graceful.  Luckily, I was fine.  The dog was fine.  And the owner of the dog was very apologetic.

Anyway, I'm very happy (and I know it) to be feeling a little better.  I think I'm slowly crawling out of the funk I've been in lately.  I fully intend to keep this momentum.  Also, what makes me VERY happy, is the random surprise we got this week from two of our friends in NC.  They sent us a HUGE canvas picture that they took while they were out here visiting.  It's a panoramic shot from the top of Mt. Tallac and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We have the best friends!  I'm sort of hoping to do a smallish living room remodel (mostly furniture... hopefully) and then I'll post some pics of the picture in all it's glory on our wall!  Stay tuned!

Sorry for the lack of pictures!  

No comments:

Post a Comment