Sunday, June 7, 2015

Slowing down...

Since we moved to Tahoe two and a half years ago, we have been going non-stop.  We have been constantly adventuring in this area and we've come to know it pretty well (we think).  While there is still SO much to see and do here (and many are things that we haven't done at all yet), lately it seems we have been slowing down a bit.  We haven't been going on long crazy road trips or exciting new adventures lately.  Thus, the reason I haven't had many things to post about and my posts have seriously been lacking pictures lately.

I'm definitely not sad to have things slow down.  In fact, I feel like life is a bit more "normal."  And even though we haven't had many new adventures with pictures and stories of new places, we have still be getting out and enjoying Tahoe and all it has to offer.

With my half marathon rapidly approaching, I've wanted to stay in Tahoe every weekend recently so that I could do a training run with friends.  That has been tremendously helpful but definitely limits our traveling. In addition to running more (only on the weekends though... can't seem to get motivated for solo runs during the work week), we've been doing a lot of mountain biking.  I'm starting to really love mountain biking thanks in part to my new "big wheel" bike and also to my persistence of sticking with the sport even though it made me want to cry and/or puke.

We have a go pro and we have a nice camera that we should be taking on bike rides to get some footage for the blog BUT, we just can't seem to get motivated to take it out of the bag and turn it on.  Crazy right?  Also, we kinda make fun of people wearing go pros when they're only riding easy trails.  It just seems like in order to wear a go pro you should be a redbull sponsored athlete doing super awesome stunts.  I know that previous statement is not true... but it seems that way to me.

Saturday morning we planned to do a 20ish mile mountain bike ride.  Pretty far by mountain biking standards.  We woke up to bright blue skies but an 80% chance of rain for the day.  Deciding not to risk getting stuck in a storm, we opted for a much more popular and therefore crowded trail system, but at least if the weather turned bad we knew we could get back to the truck quickly because it would be ALL downhill.

We climbed 2700 vertical feet to the top of Armstrong Pass.  I burned 1700 calories.  It took us roughly 3 hours to get to the top (maybe a little less, I'm not 100% sure and we did make a few stops along the way to rest/eat a snack, etc).  And it only took an hour or less to get back to the car.  It was 17 miles roundtrip and I carried a go pro and camera in my backpack the whole way but only took one picture (while I was waiting on Mike to make some adjustments to his bike).  Lame.  I gotta get better at taking some pictures/videos.  Sorry.

We hit up Subway to refuel on our way home, made a quick stop at the store for a few things, then back to the house to shower and relax.  We made grilled tuna steak sandwiches and salad for dinner and sat drinking a beer while the 80% chance of rain FINALLY rolled in!  We even got a few rumbles of thunder.  It was awesome.

Sunday morning I woke up at 6:30 for a 10 mile run that I REALLY didn't feel like doing.  But, I dragged myself out of bed, had some coffee, texted my friend who agreed to a long run, and eventually got myself out of the house.  We walked up Old Meyer's Grade which is a steep 1.5 miles up (no idea how much elevation gain but it FEELS like a lot), then we ran down... twice.  So there's 6 miles.  Then, we ran through the relatively flat neighborhood nearby for an additional 4.2 miles.  Luckily, we have a friend who lives nearby so we stopped in to top off our water bottles (thank again LeeAnn).  I've gotta say: it was a particularly brutal run.  I'm not sure if it was so hard because I was tired from Saturday, or if it was just hard anyway.  Maybe both.  What I do know for sure is: if I can do 10 miles, I can push through and do 13.1.  I know I said that in a recent post, but I really believe it to be true.  Guess we will find out in 2 weeks!

So that's what's happening in our neck of the woods. Now I'm gonna go eat my body weight in food because I can't seem to get full anymore.  Let's hope the next blog has some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment