Monday, June 29, 2015

Well, I'm 30...

... let's see how I did on completing my "30 Before 30 Bucket List."

1. READ THE BIBLE FROM COVER TO COVER.  
I read every last word (and more because my copy has lots of extra notes/commentary).  To be fair, this took me more than a year to accomplish.  I was already in Luke when I set this as a goal, so I didn't have very far to go.  Also, I have started over and intend to read it fully again although I'm not quite as consistent in daily reading. 

2. GO ON A BACKPACKING CAMPING TRIP.  
We went on a one night trip to Round Top Lake. 




AND... we spent 2 nights backpacking along the PCT.  



3. REFURBISH OUR BEDROOM FURNITURE
BEFORE

AFTER

4. GO TO SEATTLE.
I wish.  But, it didn't happen.  Not yet at least.  

5. VISIT PORTLAND. 
We tried SO many times to get this item done.  We almost jumped in the car in January and took off driving to Portland, but at the last minute we bailed because it was going to be cold and pouring down rain all weekend.  Then, we also went AGAIN last week, but nixed the trip due to temps in the 100's.  So, one day it will happen.

6. RUN A HALF MARATHON
See last weekend's post!  I had so much fun running this half marathon, I'm already signed up to do it again next year!!!

7. COMPLETE ANOTHER WHEELS FOR THE WORLD TRIP.
I spent 2 weeks in Peru.  The wheelchair outreach was in Lima, and then I was fortunate to be able to spend a few days in Aquas Calientes and stood in awe of Machu Picchu.  




8. DO A PADDLEBOARD YOGA CLASS.
Ok so I haven't FORMALLY achieved this one.
I do have a yoga teacher friend who I take classes from regularly, but she's like a cat around water.  But, I have done a LOT of yoga on a paddleboard... I just haven't taken a formal class.  So, I think it counts.  It's still yoga... on a paddleboard.  Yep, I'm counting that.  

9. WATCH THE SUNRISE FROM EMERALD BAY. 



10. LEARN TO MEDITATE. EFFECTIVELY. 
I still struggle with this, but yoga is helping. 


11. GO ZIPLINING.
DONE! KINDA???
I didn't actually achieve this item.  However, I've been ziplining before.  So, what I did instead was part of a ropes course at Heavenly village.  And even though it's a bit of a stretch, I'm counting that. 


12. SUMMIT FREEL PEAK.  
10,886 ft above sea level.  


13. RIDE ON A SNOWMOBILE.
Not done.  However, I blame mother nature.  We didn't have enough snow!

14. GET A HOT STONE MASSAGE. 
Done immediately after the half marathon!  Best. decision. ever. 
You'll just have to believe me... no pictures to prove it. 

15. LEARN HOW TO BAKE A CHEESECAKE. 
Ok, I totally achieved this.  It was delicious... ask my husband.  And I KNOW I took a picture of it as proof that I accomplished it but for the life of me I can not find that picture... anywhere.  

16. HIKE TO ALOHA LAKE.
See the picture from item #2 on this list.  That lake?  That's Aloha.  One of my favorites!

17. TRY PADDLEBOARD SURFING.
Admittedly, not done. SAD!  I will rectify that.  No worries.  It will now be on the 40 before 40 list?

18. RIDE IN A CABLE CAR IN SAN FRANCISCO.



19. OPEN A RETIREMENT ACCOUNT.  
Woohoo!  I love my job, but there will come a day that I will no longer want to work.  And, knowing myself, I will probably want to travel when I'm retired.  So, best to start saving ASAP. 

20. LOOK UP MY FAMILY ANCESTRY.   
Well, at least some of it.  Truthfully, I didn't get quite as far as I wanted, but that's ok.  I still learned a lot.  

21. PADDLE LAKE TAHOE UNDER A FULL MOON.
Not a great picture but you get the idea. 


22. RENT A BOAT AND CRUISE AROUND THE LAKE. 
Not done.  Which is sad.  But, on the bright side, my brother bought us a sunset cruise on the lake for Christmas which we intend to use in a few weeks!  So, even though we won't cruise around the whole lake, we will get to see part of it by boat. 

23. LEARN TO DO A YOGA INVERSION. 



24. JUMP OFF A CLIFF INTO WATER.
This was awesome.  Thanks again to our friends for being so adventurous and joining us on our cliff jumping expedition. 


25. PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSE'S MEAL... ANONYMOUSLY.
This feels amazing!  I bought some donuts for one of the local firestations.  And, I've paid for the person behind me in a drive through (I found that to be the easiest to keep it truly anonymous). 

26. ATTEND A CHURCH REGULARLY.
Although we aren't SUPER consistent, we've been trying to attend a local church regularly.  I love it!  It's an amazing church.  It's HUGE (by comparison to my little hometown church in Wendell, NC).  The praise band ROCKS each week.  

27. THROW A PARTY FOR A FRIEND.
I hosted a baby shower for a friend last July.  Now, her baby is here.  And she's adorable!  


28. FIND HAPPINESS IN EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.    
Every day for 365 days I wrote down what I was grateful for or what made me happy that day.  As I went to bed each night I was thinking of happy things, rather than stressing over the next day.  

Well, that's ALL that I posted initially.  
I said I wanted to keep the last 2 private until I achieved them.  
I guess it's time to reveal them.

(I will let you in on a secret... I couldn't think of 2 more things initially and that's why I didn't post them.  I had a few ideas that I wasn't excited about and I just couldn't commit to anything). 

So, eventually, with the help of friends, I came up with:

29.  PLANT A TREE IN THE RIM FIRE AREA.
Sadly... not completely done but, keep reading to find out why it's crossed off.  
The Rim Fire was a huge fire near Yosemite a few summers ago.  The Tahoe basin was filled with smoke for the majority of the summer.  It was a complete bummer.  So, I thought it would be nice to plant a tree to help with the restoration.  There's a couple of problems though: 1) it's kinda far from here and we just never planned a trip and 2) trees are expensive and big and would be hard to carry into the fire area for planting.  
But, I am donating to my former employer who is planting a tree in remembrance of someone.  So, I'm contributing to a tree planting.  Does that count???  Well, I'm in charge here and I say that is DOES count!  

30. READ 5 BOOKS.
It had been so long since I read a book for pleasure!  Now, I can't stop reading!  I've read WAY more than 5 books.  I feel that 2015 is the year of reading for me.   

For anyone keeping count, that's 25/30 and I'm totally happy with that!
Plus, I'm hoping to finish up my list and eventually get it ALL done.

My birthday was amazing!  We planned a cookout on the beach for Saturday evening and it was perfect!  We had lots of friends attend... lots of doggies... and lots of babies!  We grilled brats and ate fruit, chips, dip, and cupcakes/cookies!  There was a severe thunderstorm over Kingsbury (where we live) and we watched it all from the beach, but it passed right by us!  It was amazing.  When Mike and I got home, we noticed lots of limbs down all over the road.  We assumed it was from wind.  It wasn't until the next morning, when Mike was walking with Zater, when he noticed a tree had been struck by lightning right near our house!  Our neighbors told us the power lines were jumping from all the electricity.  One neighbor had a window bust out of her house (the same neighbor who recently had a bear break out one of her windows) and she has a piece of wood lodged in the siding of her house.  It's crazy to see the power of mother nature.  I'm glad we weren't home, but also kinda sad we missed it.

NOTICE ALL THE MISSING BARK? 

YOU CAN SEE LARGE PIECES OF FRESH WOOD
ON THE GROUND...
THAT'S AFTER A LOT OF IT HAD BEEN PICKED UP!
OUR HOUSE IS UP THAT HILL AND JUST ACROSS
THE STREET!
We spent Sunday morning watching the Race The Lake Of The Sky which is a paddleboard race in South Lake.  It's an awesome event.  Lots of famous paddleboarders come from all over the world (Australia... New Zealand... Ireland... Japan).  The afternoon was overcast and stormy, so we worked on some projects around the house and just relaxed.

Thanks so much to all of my friends and family for all the birthday wishes!  It was a wonderful birthday and I'm excited to be 30!  I really didn't feel any different at all until it dawned on me that I'm no longer "in my twenties" and I will never be "in my twenties" again!  That entire awesome decade is over.  I can't relive it.  But, that's ok.  I don't think I would want to!  I can't wait to see what's in store for my "thirties."  

No comments:

Post a Comment