Sunday, October 9, 2016

Adventures in Downieville

Mike had the weekend off.  It was a beautiful fall weekend with warm temperatures.  So, we planned a little trip to Downieville for some mountain biking with friends.  It was quite an adventure this time.

We headed out Saturday morning and rode 2 different trails for a combined distance of 22 miles of downhill.  I didn't take a single picture of us... or of the trails... or of our campsite... or of anything really.  Sorry peeps.  I gotta get better at this picture taking thing.  But, here's a few pics:

VIEW FROM MILLS PEAK FIRE LOOKOUT

MILLS PEAK FIRE LOOKOUT

MORNING DEER

SUN COMING UP OVER THE MOUNTAINS

Anyway, the mountain biking trails end in downtown Downieville... a cute and quaint little town. LONG story short: the 4 of us get pulled over by a cop on our way through town... on our mountain bikes... and threatened with tickets... for running a stop sign in town.  At the sake of sounding really dumb right now, I honestly didn't know that bikers had to STOP at stop signs.  Yield, sure.  But complete stop?  Didn't realize that's the law.  Oops.  My bad.  Luckily, the cop let us off with a warning... this time.

So, after that little adventure, we headed to our campsite for the night, built a perfect little campfire, cooked up some pierogies (in celebration of National Pierogie Day - you're welcome for that random fact), and went to bed by 9:00 because we were all completely exhausted.

The next morning, the boys went for another ride and the girls headed into town to get some breakfast and wait on the boys.  Here's the start of adventure #2 in Downieville: we arrive to town at 9:00 am and NOTHING is open except one place (which shall remain nameless for fear of my life).  We go in and talk to the very nice lady working at the store.  My friend asks if anywhere in town is open for breakfast and she says "Oh yes, right across the street."  Well, they have a closed sign up.  She "feels sure" they are open, after all they were open yesterday.  So, she calls them from her cell phone and they verify that YES, they are open.  So, before we head over there, I ask: "May I use your restroom?"

 The answer: "IF YOU TELL ANYONE THAT I LET YOU USE THE BATHROOM, I WILL KILL YOU."  Seriously.  Naturally, after that response, I didn't really have to pee anymore!

So anyway, I go to the bathroom since this lady was so nice to threaten my life over it.  After a very tense pee, I head back out to my friend and on my way out the door, the clerk emphasizes, "IF YOU SAY ANYTHING TO ANY MOUNTAIN BIKER ABOUT USING THIS BATHROOM, I WILL KILL YOU."  Yep.  Duly noted.  I picked up on that the first time you said it.  No need to repeat it.  Thanks.

Do I think she really MEANT it???  Not sure.  It may have been a joke.  But, I really don't want to push it and therefore the name of that fine establishment shall remain a mystery to you all.

Ok so my friend and I walk across the street to the restaurant we were TOLD was open.  On the short walk my friend tells me that while I was in the bathroom, the lady tells her that the exact spot she's standing in used to be the town morgue and that right next door was the town butcher.  Seriously?  How/why does that come up in conversation?  I mean I know it's almost Halloween but, really?

Anyway, we get to the restaurant and they still have a closed sign up but there's a bunch of people inside.  So, we head inside and are promptly greeted with "WE'RE CLOSED."
"Really?  A local just called and you told her you were OPEN?"
"No.  WE'RE CLOSED."
"But, there's a bunch of people in here?"
"WE ARE CLOSED."
Yep.  Ok.  Got it.  Thanks.

I got some weird, creepy vibes from this cute, little, quaint town on this trip.  We've never had anything but great experiences until this trip where we were almost ticketed/arrested, had my life threatened, and were refused service.  Despite all this, it makes for good memories with friends.  I will SERIOUSLY think twice the next time Mike suggests mountain biking in Downieville.  There are LOTS of other places to mountain bike... Auburn... Ashland, Oregon... etc.  That's a shame because I really like Downieville a lot but I am definitely NOT eager to return.

NEVER SO HAPPY TO BE BACK IN TAHOE!!!
In other news: my problems pale in comparison to what many are going through back east.  Flooding, damaged homes, and long power outages are so much worse than any of the things we experienced this weekend.    My thoughts are consumed with my friends and family in North Carolina.  I have talked to some of you but I sincerely hope and pray that everyone is safe after the wrath of Hurricane Matthew.  Much love to all of you! XOXO!


No comments:

Post a Comment