Monday, June 2, 2014

30 by 30

It's my birthday month!  This year I will be 29 years old.  In thinking about my upcoming birthday, I have been thinking a lot about my life and where I am at this point.  Lots of people make lists of the 30 things they want to do before turning 30 years old.  Well, here's mine:

1. READ THE BIBLE COVER TO COVER
I started this over a year ago... I'm in Luke now... 

2. GO ON A BACKPACKING CAMPING TRIP. 
Something short. Probably just 1 night.  

3. REFURBISH ALL THE BEDROOM FURNITURE. 
This is already in progress, but it's slow going. 

4. GO TO SEATTLE. 
Just because. 

5. VISIT PORTLAND OREGON. 
Same reason as #4. 

6. RUN A HALF MARATHON.
I am crazy... but only half crazy!

7. COMPLETE A(NOTHER) WHEELS FOR THE WORLD TRIP.
Leaving Oct 31st for Lima, Peru!

8. DO A PADDLEBOARD YOGA CLASS.
Not just playing around on the board... like I wanna attend a REAL class. 

9. WATCH THE SUNRISE FROM EMERALD BAY.
The mouth of the bay faces East. 

10. LEARN TO MEDITATE.
Effectively. 

11. GO ZIPLINING.
Technically I've been before, but only down 1 zipline.  I wanna do more!

12. SUMMIT FREEL PEAK. 
The highest peak in the Lake Tahoe Basin. 

13. RIDE ON A SNOWMOBILE.
Driving it would be even better!

14. GET A HOT STONE MASSAGE.
Maybe more than once. 

15. LEARN HOW TO BAKE A CHEESECAKE.
Because Mike loves them.  Who am I kidding... I love them too! 

16. HIKE TO ALOHA LAKE. 
Hundreds of rock islands... yes please! 

17. TRY PADDLEBOARD SURFING. 
We've only had 1 opportunity so far and it was a REALLY rough day.  

18. RIDE IN A CABLE CAR IN SAN FRANCISCO. 
It's ridiculous that I haven't done this yet. 

19. OPEN A RETIREMENT ACCOUNT. 
So responsible of me. 

20. LOOK UP MY FAMILY ANCESTRY.
I should know where I come from, right?

21. PADDLE LAKE TAHOE UNDER A FULL MOON.
I've heard you can see everything under the water. 

22. RENT A BOAT AND CRUISE AROUND THE LAKE. 
"The Lake" being Lake Tahoe of course.  I wanna see every little cove. 

23. LEARN TO DO A YOGA INVERSION.
Consistently... and without needing my feet up against a wall. 

24. JUMP OFF A CLIFF INTO WATER.
Angora Lakes anyone???

25. PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSE'S MEAL. 
Anonymously. 

26. ATTEND A CHURCH REGULARLY. 
Just looking for the right one. 

27. THROW A PARTY FOR A FRIEND.
Baby shower planned for 7/10/14. 

28. FIND AT LEAST 1 HAPPINESS IN EVERY DAY x 365 DAYS!
This might be harder than I think, but I'm going to buy a calendar and every night before bed I am going to write down one thing that made me happy that day (even if it's a simple as a cup of coffee).  Since I have just over 1 year until my 30th and I REALLY wanna cross everything off my list, this starts TODAY! 

So... I have a paper with all this written down.  It also includes a #29 and #30 but I'm not quite ready to share those two bucket list items.  

I know what a lot of you might be thinking... 
maybe #29 is move back to North Carolina and #30 is have a baby!?!?!  
I'm sure that would make both of our parents very happy but, that's not what they are.  
They are just personal goals of mine that I'm not ready to share just yet.  But, when I check them off my list, I will let you know what they were and that I have ACCOMPLISHED them!  

Ok, so there you have it.  That's my list to complete over the next year.  There's a LOT of stuff on that list that makes me nervous but this blog is all about being outside of my "comfort zone," right? 

I will keep you all informed as I check off items on my list (especially those secretive #'s 29 and 30)!  The best part of this entire thing, was that it made me realize all the things I've already done.  I went to the internet for inspiration because coming up with 30 realistic things to do in 1 year is actually a little tough.  In reading other people's lists, I realized how blessed my life has been in 28 short years.  I also realized a lot of my priorities (fitness... travel... spiritual health... etc).  I have a better understanding of who I am and that's exactly how I want to feel leaving my 20's and entering my 30's.  This upcoming last year in my 20's is sure to be a memorable one!  


No comments:

Post a Comment